Sunday 15 December 2013

10 of 16 Stories on Gender based Violence

The first five years of my marriage were like heaven for me and my high school sweetheart. He would pamper me with gifts and really adored our three year old daughter. However, this was soon to come to an end.  

My husband suddenly fell in love with a younger woman. He did not hide the affection he had for her. The two love birds would spend hours talking to each other while l listened in silence. Their love took over our marriage when he would bring his girlfriend home for a sleep over. They would literally displace me from the bed that we bought together and spend the night in our matrimonial bed while I cried myself to sleep in the spare bedroom.  

Suddenly, he started throwing tantrums when l confronted him about the issue. He started clapping and punching me. At one point l remember he shoved my head inside the toilet chamber and said l did not need to drink any water since l had already taken water from the chamber. He started shoving his whole hand inside my private parts as punishment for questioning his authority.


As the situation worsened, l decided to seek legal help from a local women’s organisation who legally represented me in court. I finally managed to get a divorce from my husband. I have since adjusted and I am taking care of my daughter who is now six years old. He also has regular access to see our child but when l look at him, l reminisce on the horrible way he treated me. Never in my life did l think l would survive such a situation. I am a liberated young woman who after going through such a traumatic experience managed to pull herself up. I therefore encourage young women to face their different situations with bravery as there is always a way out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment